Salmon fishing & fly tying on the Miramichi...

Saturday 1 February 2014

A bit of fly tyers humor ..

I was in a giddy mood last night at the bench while tying a few spring flies and this creature emerged ....


The ultimate fly to deal with 'short takes'! Lol! 

But on a serious note, I tie my bugs with a hackle that starts at the head and wraps back to the tail for 2 reasons... The first and most important is durability ... Putting it on this way allows for 2 full wraps of thread over the feather versus 1 or sometimes NONE with the tail to head method.. Simply put, the way I use makes a more durable fly and that can't be debated. The second reason is  because I prefer the look which is obviously subjective.. Each tyer will prefer one look over the other, I doubt either way makes a difference to the fish, just remember MY way makes a more durable fly =D 

A couple examples:








2 comments:

  1. Just a note to warn you that DFO is debating the option to outlow these flies for being way too efficient. no ****

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! It wouldn't surprise me! Anything to demonize fly anglers while deflecting attention from the real issues facing Atlantic Salmon - to hell with 'em I say! :)

    ReplyDelete